Saturday, February 6, 2010

Conceptualizing God...

This is a difficult task for all of us at times but even more so for a 5-year-old. Ella's little gears have been working overtime lately trying to figure out who God is and what he is all about. It is good, but it also makes for some awkward moments. The other day when getting ready for bath time she said, "I don't want to! I don't want God to see my butt! I'm naked." Funny I know, but "Oh my!" just the same. Didn't think that was going to come out of her mouth at that moment.

Alot of her questions are no longer satisfied with yes or no answers. She wants to know more, and mommy's "yes" or "no" are only met with more questions. She really is trying to figure out how God sees everything all the time? Where is Heaven? And, why people die? That question makes me the saddest, because I don't want to believe she is old enough to need to understand those answers. When they were babies I took comfort in the fact that they didn't understand, nor need to understand those parts of life.

She is growing up, and it is forcing me to accept certain things that I would rather not accept. I know these are just the first of many questions from her, and these questions will keep getting harder and more complex. We just have to cherish the innocence of the preschool years while they are little, and accept the responsibility of teaching them as much as we can as they grow. They are ours to teach, and that is the biggest, most important job we will ever have.

No comments: